You are currently viewing What to do if your frozen pipe bursts

What to do if your frozen pipe bursts

“The pipe may not actually burst, gushing water. The pressure can cause tiny leaks at a joint or small crack that may also simply drip water. Inspect frozen pipes for smaller leaks.

If a pipe bursts, immediately turn off the water at the main shutoff valve, which is usually at the water meter or where the main line enters the house. A basement is a common location for this valve. Even if you don’t have problems, now is a good time to locate your main shutoff valve.

Unless you are handy, call a licensed plumber if the pipe bursts, you are unable to locate the frozen area, the frozen area is not accessible or if you cannot thaw the pipe.”

Read more on dealing with frozen pipes here.

Shutting off the main water valve is a simple task that any homeowner can perform. While that will stop any water from gushing out, the crack will still need to be repaired. Leave that work to a qualified plumber. However, what if you simply need to thaw those frozen pipes to get water flowing again? DC Annis Sewer has you covered.

We offer steam thawing service to residents in the twin cities area. Call us at 612-861-6425 to make an appointment or with any questions you may have.